Pecos Canyon is under a closure order
UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
U.S. FOREST SERVICE
SANTA FE NATIONAL FOREST
PECOS-LAS VEGAS RANGER DISTRICT
HERMITS PEAK and CALF CANYON FIRE CLOSURE
Pursuant to 16 U.S.C. § 551 and 36 C.F.R. § 261.50(a), the following acts are prohibited within
the area described in this Order (the “Restricted Area”) and as depicted on the attached map,
hereby incorporated into this Order as Exhibit A, within the Pecos-Las Vegas Ranger District,
Santa Fe National Forest, San Miguel County, New Mexico.
1. Going into or being upon the Restricted Area. 36 C.F.R. §§ 261.52(e) and 261.53(e).
Pursuant to 36 C.F.R. § 261.50(e), the following persons are exempt from this Order:
1. Persons with a written Forest Service authorization specifically exempting them from the
effect of this Order.
2. Any Federal, State, or Local Officer, or member of an organized rescue or firefighting
resource in the performance of an official duty.
All the National Forest System lands, roads and trails located within the boundaries of the
Pecos/Las Vegas Ranger District of the Santa Fe National Forest, as depicted on Exhibit A.
The purpose of this Order is to protect public health and safety due to extreme fire danger in the
1. This Order will be effective on April 30, 2022, at 6:00 a.m., and shall remain in effect
until December 31, 2022, or until rescinded, whichever occurs first.
Santa Fe National Forest Stage 2 Restrictions
Pursuant to 16 U.S.C. § 551 and 36 C.F.R. § 261.50(a) and (b), the following acts are prohibited
within all National Forest System lands as described in this Order (the “Restricted Area”) and as
depicted on the attached map, hereby incorporated into this Order as Exhibit A, within the Santa
Fe National Forest, Rio Arriba, Los Alamos, Sandoval, Santa Fe, San Miguel, and Mora
Counties within the State of New Mexico.
1. Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire, campfire, or stove fire, including
charcoal and briquettes. 36 C.F.R. § 261.52(a).
2. Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building, a developed recreation site, or
while stopped in an area at least three (3) feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of any
flammable material. 36 C.F.R. § 261.52(d).
3. Blasting, welding, or operating an acetylene or other torch with open flame.
36 C.F.R. § 261.52(i).
4. Using an explosive. 36 C.F.R. § 261.52(b).
5. Possessing or using a motor vehicle off National Forest System roads, except when
parking in an area devoid of vegetation within 10 feet of the roadway and except for
parking overnight in Forest Service developed campgrounds and trailheads.
36 C.F.R. § 261.56.
THE FOLLOWING ACTS ARE PROHIBITED FROM 10.00 A.M. TO 2:00 P.M.:
1. Operating a chainsaw or other equipment powered by an internal combustion engine for
felling, bucking, skidding, processing, road building and woodcutting during industrial
operations or fire wood gathering capable of igniting a fire. 36 C.F.R. § 261.52(h), (j).
Pursuant to 36 C.F.R. §261.50(e), the following persons are exempt from the provisions in this
1. Persons using a stove or grill that is solely fueled by liquid petroleum or liquid petroleum
gas (LPG) fuels.
2. Any Federal, State, or local officer, or member of an organized rescue or firefighting
force in the performance of official duty.
All National Forest System lands, roads, and trails within the exterior boundaries of the Santa Fe
National Forest, as depicted on the attached map at Exhibit A.
To reduce the risk of human-caused wildfires during periods of high fire danger and severe fire
1. This Order will be in effect at 8:00AM on Friday, April 22, 2022, and shall remain in
effect until December 31, 2022, or until rescinded, whichever occurs first.
2. A map identifying the Restricted Area is attached and made part of this Order as
3. Any violation of this prohibition is punishable as a Class B misdemeanor by a fine of not
more than $5000 for an individual or $10,000 for an organization, or by imprisonment for
not more than six (6) months, or both (see 16 U.S.C. § 551, 18 U.S.C. § 3571(b)(6),
18 U.S.C. § 3581(b)(7)).
4. Further information regarding this Order may be obtained at the Santa Fe National Forest
Supervisor's Office in Santa Fe, NM, telephone number 505-438-5300.
5. This Order supersedes any previous Orders prohibiting the same acts covered by this
Click here to request email notification of significant web site updates.
To request information use our easy web site form: